-Obesity can have an important negative effect on the general status health of the patient.
-The most common consequences of obesity are: type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, sleep apnoea syndrome, high blood pressure, dyslipemia, arthritis or venous insufficiency.
In Belgium, the surgical treatment is accepted in the following cases:
– the BMI must be = or> 40kg/m2
– the BMI must be> 35kg/m2 in combination with at least one of the following criteria:
- diabetes treated with medication
- treatment-resistant hypertension defined as blood pressure> 140/90 mmHg, despite treatment for 1 year by means of simultaneous intake of 3 antihypertensives
- sleep apnoea syndrome objectified by means of a polysomnographic examination
- reoperation after complication or poor results of a previous bariatric intervention
You can check the aspects of the bariatric surgeries in this section.